Monday, December 24, 2007

A Lick of Frost by Laurell K Hamilton

Today I took some time for me. That means to do some reading for enjoyment. Something I rarely do anymore *sigh* Well, as I knew it would happen when I started this book last night, I'd get hooked and in less than 24 hours it was completed. Now I have to wait about a year for another one *double sigh*

If you read the Merry Gentry books, you'll enjoy this one. I will warn that there are maybe a total of two sex scenes. Very, very low compared to her last Merry book, Mistral's Kiss. It isn't until Ch 15/pg 154 that Merry gets intimate with one of her men. Some of her readers can't complain this time around about all the sex poor Merry is having (though I'm not one to complain as I stare at awe at the great sex she's having *lol* )

This books deals a lot more with the plot going on around Merry and why her Uncle is so insistant on seeing her. I won't spoil the plot for anyone but there are several twists that I didn't see coming and several I did. Her Aunt is such a bitch and her uncle a loone. But there is both great joy and sadness toward the end of the book. I admit, I cried like a baby. The title was appropriate.

This is a great book, but make sure you have time to get drawn into it as it sucks you in from the first chapter.

A Lick of Frost
by Laurell K Hamilton


Print book

Available at major book stores
and Amazon.com


Read Excerpt and more information at
http://www.laurellkhamilton.org/Merry/ALickOfFrost.html







To be crowned queen, I must first continue the royal bloodline and give birth to an heir of my own. If I fail, my aunt, Queen Andais, will be free to do what she most desires: install her twisted son, Cel, as monarch . . . and kill me.

My royal guards surround me, and my best loved–my Darkness and my Killing Frost–are always beside me, sworn to protect and make love to me. But still the threat grows greater. For despite all my carnal efforts, I remain childless, while the machinations of my sinister, sadistic Queen and her confederates remain tireless. So my bodyguards and I have slipped back into Los Angeles, hoping to outrun the gathering shadows of court intrigue. But even exile isn’t enough to escape the grasp of those with dark designs.

Now King Taranis, powerful and vainglorious ruler of faerie’s Seelie Court, has leveled accusations against my noble guards of a heinous crime–and has gone so far as to ask the mortal authorities to prosecute. If he succeeds, my men face extradition to faerie and the hideous penalties that await them there. But I know that Taranis’s charges are baseless, and I sense that his true target is me. He tried to kill me when I was a child. Now I fear his intentions are far more terrifying.

No comments: